Tuesday, December 21, 2010

An Open Letter

Bishop Tobin of Rhode Island sent out an "Open Letter" to many fallen away Catholics this year. I thought it was well written, and truthful.

Full Article:http://www.thericatholic.com/opinion/detail.html?sub_id=3689

"My dear Brother or Sister: In the spirit of the Advent and Christmas Season, and as the Diocese of Providence nears the end of its “Year of Evangelization,” I’m writing this letter to inactive Catholics of our Diocese – perhaps you’re in that category – to let you know that we miss you, we love you and we want you to come home to the Church. 

The first dilemma I faced in writing this letter was how to describe you – an “inactive Catholic,” a “fallen-away Catholic” or a “former-Catholic.” I chose the first option.

I decided against “fallen-away Catholic” for it suggests someone falling off a fence or out of a tree. The image isn’t helpful. 

And there’s really no such thing as a “former Catholic.” If you were baptized a Catholic, you’re a Catholic for life – even if you haven’t been to Mass for years, even if you’ve renounced the title and joined another Church. Your baptism infused your soul with Catholic DNA – it defines who and what you are."

Read the rest Here...

2 comments:

  1. Very well written! My favorite line: "...when you attend Mass it shouldn't be all about you - the focus is God!" In my exploration of Protestant and non denominational Christian churches, I kept seeking something for myself, completely ignoring the fact that I, along with all my brothers and sisters in Christ, had already received the greatest gift of all! Now it's time to give Him thanks.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Many think the Mass should be entertaining. Jeff Cavin's book "I'm Not Being Fed" does a great job at explaining this phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete